Have you ever wanted to create your own portable server? Whether you’re learning web development and want to host your own HTML files on your iPhone, or just want to have fun with a server without being limited to using a laptop or computer to install MAMP, your iPhone can do it for you. So if you’re interested, we’ve got you covered with all the important information you’ll ever need. Here’s how to run a simple web server on iPhone.
Run a Simple Web Server on iPhone and iPad
Running a server on your iPhone is not a difficult task at all. In fact, it’s really quite simple. All you need is a simple, free app, and that’s about it. Of course, since it is a Easy web server, it won’t have all the bells and whistles you’d get with something like an XAMP or MAMP install on your laptop or PC. However, he can do the basics and do it well. So let’s go.
As always, you can use the table of contents below to navigate this article.
System Requirements to Run a Web Server on iPhone
Other than an iPhone, all you need to run a web server is a Linux shell environment. There are a few you can use, but we’ll be using the (free) iSH Shell app.
Create a Simple Web Server on iPhone with iSH Shell
- First, install the iSH Shell (free) app on your iPhone and launch the app.
- Now we will install Python 3 on the iPhone through the shell. Just type the command mentioned below.
apk add python3
- Once Python 3 is installed on your iPhone, you are ready to create the server. Enter the command below to start a web server on your iPhone.
python3 -m http.server
- Then you should see the message “Serving HTTP on 0.0.0.0 port 8000” at the bottom. Besides, you will also get a popup saying something like, “iSH would like to find and connect to devices on your local network. This is needed to connect to localhost and use the ping command” Faucet OKAY in the context menu to continue.
- Then you can connect the web server from the same or another device. If you want to connect to the iOS/iPadOS web server from the same device (localhost), just point any web browser to the following address.
- To connect to the iOS/iPadOS web server from another device on the same network, point any web server to the address below.
To note: In the command above, you will need to replace “device-ip-address” with your iPhone’s IP address. You can find your iPhone’s IP address by going to Settings -> WiFi -> Tap on your WiFi name -> IP Address.
How to add your HTML files to your iPhone server
Now that we’ve created a server, you might be wondering where and how to add your HTML files, right? Well, that’s easy too. Just follow the steps below.
To note: We assume that you have already created…
Read the full article on: Beebom.